MLFTC’s academic coach supports students with various academic success topics, including college transition, time management, organizational skills, goal setting, studying, note-taking, test preparation, and more.
This support is offered through one-on-one coaching meetings, academic events, and online resources.
Frequently asked questions
Academic coaching is a strategic, personalized partnership designed to help students achieve educational and personal success. The MLFTC Academic Coach offers one-on-one support to help students create action plans for overcoming barriers that impede their ability to develop and achieve goals. A student could meet with the coach for support weekly, biweekly, once a month, three times a semester, etc.
- College transition
- Time management
- Organization skills
- Goal setting and planning
- Strategies for studying, note-taking and test preparation
- Project planning
- Presentation skills
- Anything related to your academic journey at ASU!
- Provide academic advising, e.g., discuss class selection, degree requirements, etc.
- Offer tutoring or supplemental instruction
- Predict what grade students might get
- Hold responsibility for the grade(s) students receive
Attend MLFTC events
Meet regularly with your Academic Advisor
Before your appointment
- List the topics you would like to discuss with your coach
- Prepare a list of questions
During your appointment
- Be open and honest
- Ask thoughtful questions
- Take detailed notes and include the action items you agree to complete
After your appointment
- Review your notes
- Work on the action items you agreed to complete
- Ask yourself: What progress have I made? What, if anything, has not gone according to plan and why?
- Consider other resources you may benefit from (e.g., tutoring, academic advising, ASU Counseling Services, SAILS)
- Always feel free to contact your coach with follow-up questions
APA 7th Edition Resources
Introduction to APA 7th Edition
This resource is aimed at faculty and students and is designed to address some of the key differences between the 6th and 7th edition of the APA Manual.
APA Formatting a Paper
This resource is designed to help you format your paper using the 7th edition of APA. This includes the title page, abstract, and conventions of the main body itself.
APA In-Text Citations
This resource is designed to develop your understanding of how to cite your work in-text using the 7th edition of APA. It is also designed to help you feel more confident in upholding high standards of academic integrity.
APA Reference List
This resource is designed to develop your understanding of and confidence in compiling a reference list using the 7th edition of APA.