If you aspire to a school leadership position as an administrator or teacher leader and believe in the power of education to transform children’s lives, you may be a candidate for the Master of Education in Educational Leadership from Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College at Arizona State University.
This rigorous, standards-based leadership preparation program provides you with the knowledge and expertise to become a transformative administrator or teacher leader with deep and unwavering commitment to providing excellent and equitable educational opportunities for all students.
This program equips you with the skills to:
- Facilitate school-level, systemic change
- Create and sustain a culture of innovation and collaboration
- Successfully lead curriculum development
- Interpret and use data to support student success
- Provide effective feedback, support and evaluation for teachers
- Build a community network of support for your students and school
- Ensure equitable and excellent educational opportunities and support for all students
ASU’s Teachers College offers two pathways for you to earn this degree. Both options are designed to prepare you to meet Arizona requirements for principal certification.
iLeadAZ Principal Preparation Pathway
Are you a current educator in the Phoenix metropolitan area who is ready to take your leadership to the next level? The iLeadAZ Principal Preparation Pathway is a 15-month standards-based leadership development program designed to prepare you for positions as a school administrator or teacher leader.
- Begin your learning with a three-week summer intensive that immerses you and your cohort in a simulated school experience, and during which you will engage in your required coursework in a hybrid format.
- Continue your learning during the school year with a blend of web-based and face-to-face courses taken at ASU’s West campus, including one Saturday cohort meeting per month, and two Thursday cohort meetings per semester during which you will visit schools and participate in instructional rounds.
- Participate in a two-semester school-based internship that gives you the opportunity to apply your new learning and research in a K-12 setting.
- Conclude the program with a two-week summer intensive during which you and your cohort meet together, engage with your coursework in a hybrid format, and prepare to move forward with your leadership aspirations.
This pathway requires that you have a bachelor’s degree and at least two years of pre-K through grade 12 teaching experience as a teacher of record. If you are not currently employed in a school-based position, you must have access to an ASU- and district-approved school placement that will serve as a laboratory of practice for applying the concepts, principles and leadership approaches learned through your coursework.
Request information to learn more or apply to ASU for the iLeadAZ Principal Preparation Pathway.
Online Principal Preparation Pathway
The 2-year Online Pathway allows you to complete your coursework online and gain the field experiences required to attain principal certification. If you are not currently employed in a school-based position, you must have access to an ASU- and district-approved school placement that will serve as a laboratory of practice for applying the concepts, principles and leadership approaches learned through your coursework.
This pathway requires that you have a bachelor’s degree and at least two years of pre-K through grade 12 teaching experience as a teacher of record. Non-Arizona residents, please refer to the ASU Online State Authorization page for additional information.
Request information to learn more or apply to ASU to be considered for the Online Principal Preparation Pathway.
Plan of study
View the program guide for more information about both pathways and a complete list of program courses.