iLeadAZ Principal Residency Pathway
The iLeadAZ Principal Residency Pathway is a 15-month standards-based leadership development program in which Arizona school districts partner with Arizona State University in developing their leadership pipeline. Participants are a part of the Master of Education in Educational Leadership program within Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College, and benefit from a full-time, 10-month residency experience in their school district.
Established in 2008, this accelerated leadership immersion program combines the best of ASU’s rich intellectual resources with the expertise of accomplished school administrators who serve as iLeadAZ faculty and mentors. Instruction is aligned to nationally recognized Interstate School Leaders Licensure Consortium Standards (ISLLC) and modeled after the highly successful New York City Leadership Academy.
Students in the iLeadAZ Principal Residency Pathway develop the skills to become creative, transformational leaders. Program graduates are deeply committed to working in Arizona schools to expand opportunities for all students and foster educational equity in the state. During the program, students:
- Learn through immersion in leadership paired with coursework and coaching
- Build skills for self-reflection, inquiry and the improvement of practice, and demonstrate these skills in a professional portfolio
- Apply evidence-based knowledge and research-based instructional strategies that positively impact student achievement and school improvement
The iLeadAZ Principal Residency Pathway has four distinct phases:
- Five-week summer intensive that engages participants in comprehensive simulations grounded in authentic school experiences
- 10-month school-based residency (internship) with mentoring from an experienced district principal, and leadership coaching from an experienced and highly-skilled former principal
- Nine weekend conferences (Friday and Saturday) that extend the summer intensive experience throughout the school year
- Coursework to complete ASU requirements to earn a master’s degree in educational leadership with principal concentration
Learn more and apply
Interested students must apply to both ASU and the iLeadAZ Principal Residency Pathway, and be nominated by their school districts. For more information or to request an application packet, please contact us at iLeadAZ@asu.edu or (602) 543-2829.