Admitted ASU students

We're here to help!


There are three types of financial aid available to you:

  • Money you don’t pay back

  • Money you do pay back

  • Money you earn

Important: Filling out the FAFSA — Free Application for Federal Student Aid — is your key to unlocking nearly every kind of financial aid you may qualify for. You must fill out a FAFSA each year, even if you submitted one in previous years. Your FAFSA does not commit you to any particular college or financial obligation. You will not need current-year tax records to complete the FAFSA.

Submit FAFSA

Money you don’t pay back

There are two kinds of aid you never have to pay back: scholarships and grants.


  • Some scholarships are specific to Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College. You are not automatically considered for these scholarships with admission, and must apply through the college’s scholarship office. To remain eligible for most scholarships through the college you must reapply every year. A FAFSA is required for most of them. Factors determining your eligibility may include merit, financial need, application essays and specific academic criteria.
    Undergraduate scholarships

         Graduate scholarships     

  • You may be eligible for other scholarships available through Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College that require separate or additional application forms. They include:

    • Family Spirit Scholarship — The scholarship is available to full-time undergraduate students in Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College on the ASU West campus. A FAFSA is required, as is a 3.0 or higher GPA.

    • Mary Ann Graham Johnston Memorial Scholarship — This scholarship is available for undergraduates and graduates in a teacher certification program, with a preference for single parents

    • Eloise & Gene Koonce Excellence in Education Scholarship — This scholarship is available for undergraduates with a preference for students majoring in secondary education math or science

    • Teresa Campolongo Memorial Scholarship — This scholarship is available for juniors and seniors enrolled full-time with a preference for students majoring in secondary education.

    • Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship — This scholarship is available to students with a bachelor's degree in science, technology, engineering or mathematics.

    • Arizona Teachers Academy — Provides financial aid and professional development to students who are Arizona residents and who commit to teaching in Arizona’s Title I schools after graduation.
  • Scholarships are also available through ASU. A FAFSA is required for all of them. They can be found through the ASU scholarship search. You are not automatically considered for these awards. They vary by cost, type (need-based, academic achievement) and application requirements. Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College is not involved in these awards.

    ASU scholarship search


  • The TEACH grant — Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education — is a federal program that provides up to $4,000 per year while you complete your degree if you agree to teach a high needs subject area in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families after graduation. A FAFSA is required. Learn more and apply.

  • A SEED grant — Supporting Effective Educator Development — from Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College can help pay for your education as you prepare you to teach math or science in a middle school or high school classroom. Note: This grant is available only for particular degree programs and start dates. Funding is limited. Learn more and apply.

  • Grants are also available from ASU. They are need-based gift assistance awarded to qualified undergraduate students. A FAFSA is required. These grants do not have to be repaid if you remain enrolled for the semester in which you receive the grant. Learn more about grants through ASU.

Money you do pay back

This kind of aid comes from loans. They are not arranged or supported by ASU, but between you or a parent or guardian, and the lender. There are three kinds:

  • Federal student loans — These are between you and the federal government. A FAFSA is required.

  • Federal parent loans — Usually called Parent PLUS Loans, they are between a parent or guardian and the federal government. A FAFSA is required.

  • Private student loans — Private loans are education loans that are funded not by the federal government, but by private lenders such as banks or credit unions. They are generally more expensive (in interest rates) than federal loans. They may require a co-signer. Other requirements vary between lenders.

Loan forgiveness programs for teachers are available through most states, including Arizona, and from the U.S. government. ASU and Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College are not involved in the application for or approval of loan forgiveness.

  • The state of Arizona offers the Math, Science and Special Education Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program for college juniors and seniors entering the teaching profession in Arizona public schools. These loans are arranged through the Arizona Commission for Postsecondary Education.

  • The U.S. Department of Education oversees two types of loan forgiveness programs to encourage individuals to enter and continue in the teaching profession. Learn more.

Money you earn

Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College partners with AmeriCorps to allow teacher candidates to earn an education stipend of up to $3,000 during the two semesters of their student teaching. ASU is the only university in Arizona that offers this option.

  • The stipend — the AmeriCorps Segal Education Award — is not a check. It is a credit that can be used for student loan payments or for future tuition and education expenses for up to seven years.

  • Acceptance into AmeriCorps is required to receive the stipend.

  • Acceptance into the program commits you to a few extra meetings and trainings.

  • Students who enter AmeriCorps through Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College become highly trained in Service-learning. The Arizona Dept. of Education places significant emphasis on service-learning in its requirements of schools and districts. As an AmeriCorps alumnus, you will be a top candidate for desirable teaching jobs in Arizona.

  • Learn more about AmeriCorps through Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College.

There are several other options for earning money while you attend ASU. Note that these work options are not permitted during the two semesters of your senior year residency in the iTeachAZ program.:

  • Federal work-study — A FAFSA is required for this need-based program that encourages community service work related to your course of study. One such program is America Reads, coordinated with ASU.

  • ASU hourly employment — Most student workers are limited to 25 hours per week or less. You may apply for hourly employment positions throughout the year. New jobs are posted daily.

  • Off-campus employment — Part-time employment opportunities with off-campus employers are an option, but are not supported or brokered by ASU or Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College.

  • Education at Work — This nonprofit organization partners with local employers to fill their customer service staff positions with ASU students.