What types of teacher preparation programs does Teachers College offer?

Teachers College offers both undergraduate and graduate level teacher preparation programs. Teaching certifications are available in early childhood education (birth-grade 3), elementary education (grades 1-8), bilingual education (grades 1-8), secondary education (grades 7-12) and special education (grades K-12).  Upon completion of your chosen teacher preparation program and successful completion of the required Arizona Educator Proficiency Assessments, you will be certified to teach in Arizona. 

How is Teachers College different from other teacher preparation programs?

Arizona State University has been training educators since it was founded as a Normal School in the Territory of Arizona in 1886. This strong history in education combined with faculty who are experts in their field has created education programs that not only align with state certification requirements, but prepare students to be successful in the current PreK-12educational system. Teachers College programs combine teacher preparation,content knowledge courses and extensive clinical experience to prepare students for success.

Undergraduate FAQs

When and how do I apply?

​You can apply up to one year in advance. We recommend you apply early for best access to scholarships and financial aid.

  • Freshmen, apply here.
  • Transfer students need to apply forUniversity Admission.
  • Transfer students who are ready to start the iTeachAZ Professional Program must complete an additional application and obtain a fingerprint clearance card.

What are the application requirements for Teachers College?

  • Undergraduate application requirements

Undergraduate application requirements
Apply to Arizona State University

iTeachAZ Professional Program requirements: must be completed to progress into junior year/term 5 on major map

  • Complete 60 credit hours of prerequisite coursework at ASU or another institution
  • Maintain a GPA of 2.5
  • Obtain a valid Arizona IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card

Graduate Application Requirements

  • Possess a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution, with a 3.0 GPA
  • Apply to Arizona State University
  • Apply to Arizona State University Graduate College
  • File a copy of the Arizona IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card with the Teachers College Office of Student Services
  • Complete Teachers College Application http://mytc.asu.edu/progress-iteachaz-professional-program

What are the priority application dates for Arizona State University?

In order to be considered for scholarships or financial aid students must submit a Free Application for Financial Aid, or FAFSA. The priority application deadline for admissions and scholarships for fall enrollment is February 1. The priority deadline for spring enrollment is September 15. Late applicants will be considered for university admission and financial aid but ASU programs with higher admission standards will give priority consideration to applications submitted by these deadlines.

When should I meet with an advisor?

You can meet with an advisor anytime you have questions. We recommend that transfer students meet with an advisor at least the semester prior to applying to ASU.

Teachers College has academic advisors located on all four ASU campuses and advisors visit Arizona community colleges.

Speak to an advisor today by calling 602-543-6358 or email us.

How do I make sure my community college credits will transfer?

ASU has partnered with Arizona community colleges for transfer students to provide a smooth transition to the university and ensure transfer of credits. The Maricopa to ASU Pathways Program (MAPP) and ASU Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) programs provide students pathways that outline all the required courses for Teachers College majors.

How do I get an Arizona IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card?

Please contact the Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS) at 602.223.2279 to request an IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card Packet. You may also visit the DPS website to request a packet. Community Wellness and Safety of Arizona provides fingerprint packets and fingerprinting. Please note that it may take 6 to 8 weeks to receive your fingerprint clearance card from DPS.

What is iTeachAZ?

iTeachAZ is the name of ASU’s undergraduate teacher preparation program. It refers to the junior and senior year of the bachelor degree program where coursework and clinical experiences are integrated to provide pre-service teachers with a theoretically grounded, applied educational experience. Learn more about the benefits of iTeachAZ by watching this video .

What types of clinical experience can I expect in iTeachAZ?

To integrate theory and practice, teacher candidates participate in classroom internships during the first two semesters of the program and a full year of a collaborative teaching experience during the last two semesters. This full year experience is a signature feature of iTeachAZ.

During the full year experience, teacher candidates fully integrate coursework, participate in apprenticeship, and learn within a cohort model while co-teaching in a preK-12 classroom at a partner school. Pedagogy courses are taught in district locations to permit attention to the implementation of research-based practices.



How many hours will I spend interning in PreK-12 classrooms?

During your sophomore year you will participate in 70 hours of service learning in an education related agency.

During your junior year, a minimum of 75 hours each semester will be spent in PreK-12 schools.

Student teaching for most programs consists of two full semesters during your senior year.

How does student teaching work?

Most programs feature a Senior Year Residency; offering two full semesters of student teaching during the senior year. A typical schedule is 4 days a week (7:30 am-4:30 pm) of student teaching and one day per week (8 am-4 pm) of coursework. Courses taken during the Senior Year Residency are held on site in the district that students are student teaching.

Students indicate their placement preference from a list of participating school districts. ASU then pairs the student with a mentor who is selected based on years of teaching, documented success in student achievement and mentoring experience.

Student teaching for some secondary programs is one semester due to the high number of content related courses that students must complete.

Where does the Teachers College place students for internships and student teaching?

The Teachers College currently partners with over 30 school districts in Arizona. Students indicate their placement preference from a list of participating school districts. ASU then pairs the student with a mentor who is selected based on years of teaching, documented success in student achievement, and mentoring experience.

On which ASU campus are the teacher certification programs offered?

​Teachers College offers multiple teacher preparation programs on each of ASU’s four campuses. 

Undergraduate Teacher Preparation Programs:

Tempe Campus:  Early Childhood, Elementary Education, Special Education, Secondary Education
West Campus:  Elementary Education, Special Education, Secondary Education
Downtown Campus:  Bilingual Education, Elementary Education with an emphasis on Arts integration
Polytechnic Campus:  Elementary Education, Special Education, Secondary Education, Physical Education

What are the costs to attend the Teachers College?

​ASU provides a cost calculator to determine the cost of tuition, cost of attendance and a financial aid estimator.

To view billing information, current tuition rates and fees click here https://students.asu.edu/costs.

Are there ASU scholarships available?

There are many scholarships available from both ASU and Teachers College.  ASU scholarship information and a search can be found here

Where can I view and accept my financial aid?

Once you start your online application to ASU, you are given an ASURITE User Name and Password to access your My ASU page. Click on My Finances in the left column for detailed information regarding your financial aid package. For more information about financial aid at ASU, go here.

May I teach in another state with my Arizona teaching certificate?

Graduates with a valid Arizona Teacher Certification may teach in other states that have a reciprocity agreement with Arizona.  To learn more about reciprocity agreements, please visit the Department of Education in the state in which you wish to transfer your Arizona teaching certification. 

Is there a program for a student who doesn?t want to be a classroom teacher?

Educational Studies is a degree designed to prepare students to work with children, youth and adults outside of a formal classroom setting. The degree integrates a variety of service learning internships within four semesters. 

Can I be a part of Teachers College and Barrett, The Honors College?

Yes, many Teachers College students are also enrolled in Barrett, The Honors College. With careful planning you can meet the requirements for both colleges in four years.

Graduate FAQs

Why Choose Teachers College Graduate Programs?

Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College graduate education programs are ranked among the top ten percent in U.S. News & World Report.  Our graduate programs serve students who are experienced educators as well as those new to education including those who are:

  • Preparing to teach
  • Developing specialized expertise in specific areas, including the option to earn Arizona Endorsements in Reading or Mathematics
  • Preparing to lead schools, school districts or other educational organizations
  • Preparing  to become researchers or faculty
  • Preparing for positions in educational research or policy

How is the program structured?

When are classes held?

Meeting dates and times vary with each program but most meet in late afternoons and early evenings.

How long does it take to complete a program?

Time to degree completion varies by the program and site that is selected. General guidelines are provided below:

  • MAC: The master of education and teacher certification programs can be completed in eighteen months.
  • InMAC: The master of education and alternative pathway to teacher certification program can be completed in 22 months.
  • Non-certification masters: Students can complete most programs within two years.
  • Ed.D.: Three years of study, beginning with admission during a summer term. Students are admitted once per year with applications accepted in January.

Can I work full-time while enrolled?


  • MAC: Yes, for the first three semesters of the program. The classes are in the evenings. You will have an internship requirement of one day per week for the first three semesters of the program.
  • Non-certification master degrees: Yes, classes are scheduled in the evenings.
  • Ph.D.: Yes, classes are scheduled in the evenings with the exception of the Policy Studies Core classes which are offered in the early afternoon.
  • Ed.D.: YES! The program is designed for working professional educators, and you must have a position – whether classroom teacher, counselor, or administrator or other position – that allows you to implement small-scale change.

What kind of technology do I need to be effective in the online program?


  • In addition to the kind of materials traditionally required for face-to-face courses, students enrolled in the Online Program will need the following items:

    •  Computer with Broadband Connection. You will need a computer with speakers or headphones in a comfortable place where you can work for long hours without distraction or interruption, with a broadband (high speed) connection to the internet (such as DSL or a cable modem services). A dial up connection will not support course content and cannot be used.
    • Microsoft Office. You will need to have the Microsoft Office suite in order to create and edit documents for your courses. Office 2003 or later is recommended. If you do not already have Office, it may be purchased at a student discount price through the ASU Computer Store.


What are the application processes and program requirements?

How do I apply for a graduate program?

Every student is required to fill out an application to the ASU Graduate College. Within this application the student will be applying to the particular program of their choice. The Graduate College provides information on how to apply as well as the minimum requirements that need to be met here. If you have any additional questions regarding the program application requirements please contact our department.

Can I transfer in coursework that I took at another institution?

Transfer coursework cannot be reviewed until a student is admitted and begins the first semester of study. Approval of transfer coursework is a two-step process. First, all transfer coursework must meet the minimum requirements established by the Graduate College. For more information about that, please visit this site. Second, all coursework must be reviewed by the individual program faculty. Some programs do not accept any transfer coursework.

Are the GRE or MAT exams required?

The GRE is only required for the following programs:

    Ph.D. in Learning, Literacies and Technologies
    Ph.D. in Educational Policy and Evaluation  

The GRE or MAT is required for the M.Ed. in Educational Technology.

Is there a minimum GRE or MAT score for admission?

M.Ed. in Educational Technology: A score of 153 or above on the current scale (500 or above prior to August 2011) on the verbal section of the GRE or a score of 400 or above on the MAT.

We do not have a minimum GRE score for admission into the Ph.D. program.

Do I need to have a Masters degree before applying for the Ph.D. program?

You are not required to have a Masters degree before applying to the Ph.D. program. If you have a Masters degree in a related field you can transfer up to 30 credit hours of courses from your degree and up to 12 additional hours provided the credits were not required for your Masters degree. However, if you withdraw from a Masters degree program without completing the degree to start a Ph.D. program, you will only be able to transfer a total of 12 credit hours

Do I need to have a Masters degree before applying for the Ed.D. program?

You are required to have a Masters degree before applying to the Ed.D. program. If you have a Masters degree in a related field you can transfer up to 30 credit hours of courses from your degree.

What is the tuition?

Tuition and fees (resident and non-resident) are charged based on the number of credits a student is enrolled in and are subject to change. The tuition schedule for the 2012-2013 academic year is available here.

For more information about the Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College graduate programs, contact us at GraduateEducation@asu.edu or call 602-543-6358.

How much does the program cost?

Tuition and fees (resident and non-resident) are charged based on the number of credits a student is enrolled in and are subject to change. The tuition schedule for the 2012-2013 academic year is available here.

What is the alternative certification pathway?

What are the requirements of the alternative pathway to teacher certification (intern certificate) program - the InMAC program?


  • Here are the steps to becoming an InMAC student:

    • Letter of Enrollment from University.
    • Must meet all application requirements of the traditional MAC program explained here.
    • Apply to the InMAC program at Downtown Phoenix campus (choose General InMAC as Specialization on your application).
    • Receive full time teaching position (letter of intent to hire can be used initially for the next step).
    • Register for one InMAC class, Apprentice Teaching, in order to receive your letter of enrollment.
    • Receive your Teaching Intern Certificate from ADE. This must be completed prior to applying for the intern certificate.
    • IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card
    • Official transcripts documenting a Bachelor’s degree or higher
    • Proof of your SEI provisional
    • This is taken through our BEST Learning Forever program (you will still need to take the SEI courses with your program).
    • Proof of your Subject Knowledge AEPA.
    • Complete InMAC Confirmation of Employment Form to verify your full time teaching position.
    • The InMAC Confirmation of Employment Form and the Teaching Intern Certificate are required to be in the InMAC program. These are due to the InMAC advisor at the Downtown Phoenix campus no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 17th.
    • Once the InMAC advisor receives both of these documents, you will be able to register for the remainder of the InMAC courses given to you at the time of handing in the documents.
    • If these documents are not turned in by the deadline, you will be withdrawn from all InMAC courses and have the option of starting the MAC program at an available campus.


Ask a Question

Do you have a question that our FAQs didn't cover? Please ask your question using the form below and we will contact you shortly with an answer. Your question might even be added to our FAQ list. Wouldn't that be grand? Please note that only the “Your Question” field is required, but if you wish to receive an answer via email, please include your email address.

Education is at the heart of our future. Our future lies in our ability to dream. What we dream we can create. What we create we can become."

– Dr. Ira and Dr. Mary Lou Fulton