Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College prepares teachers who can meet the demands of 21st century classrooms and teach according to Arizona's College and Career Ready Standards (ACCRS), formerly known as Arizona's Common Core Standards.
Resources and opportunities for teachers and administrators
Teachers College offers educational opportunities and resources to help teachers and administrators implement Arizona's College and Career Ready Standards in their classrooms and schools.
- Professional Learning Library is a central source for pre-service and in-service K-12 educators and college faculty to connect, collaborate, share and learn. The site provides educators with online access to more than 1,200 resources aligned with Arizona's College and Career Ready Standards. Teachers College faculty members continually produce, evaluate and upload lesson plans to the online venue, which translates use-inspired research into direct classroom applications.
- Learning Forever. Courses are taught by expert faculty who know how the content coursework relates to Arizona's College and Career Ready Standards.
Preparing the next generation of teachers in Arizona's College and Career Ready Standards
ASU Teachers College is embedding the Arizona's College and Career Ready Standards into our ASU teacher preparation coursework and clinical experiences:
- All course syllabi (for approximately 130 classes) in both the undergraduate and graduate teacher preparation programs are being revised to align to Arizona's College and Career Ready Standards and will be fully implemented by fall 2014.
- Our students are immersed in school districts with internships and student teaching. Through the undergraduate iTeachAZ and graduate Induction Masters and Certification programs, faculty and students are embedded in schools for a full school year. During that year, Teachers College faculty members collaborate with K-12 teachers in, among other things, applying the Arizona's College and Career Ready Standards to their lessons. In addition, Teachers College students fully participate in district-led trainings on Arizona's College and Career Ready Standards, and will implement Common Core into their classrooms with the guidance of their mentor teachers.
- Teachers College offers coursework for K-12 teachers that directly relates to implementing the new standards in the classroom. These master's level courses are available to those in graduate programs and non-degree seeking students. They are designed for practicing to develop a deep understanding of the ACCRS and provide practical methods to create or revise their own lesson plans to use in the classroom right away. There were several courses offered in the summer of 2013 and more courses are being developed for the future.